Download this Article as PDF (Right-Click Here & Save As)
NAJAF AL ASHRAF
NAJAF is the city where the shrine of Imam Ali (as) is located. Prophet Adam and Nuh a.s. are also buried in the vicinity.
The pilgrim should fully realize that Imam Ali (as) occupies the highest position next only to the Prophet (s) in the excellence and nobility of virtues.
- He is the most superior in the creation compare to everyone else.
- He is the gateway to the city of knowledge, BABU MADINATIL ILM
- He is the most just judge after the Prophet (s)
- He is the most knowledgeable one.
- He is the bravest one.
- He is the most kind, loving Imam.
Even amongst the Imams of Ahlul Bayt (as) he occupies the most superior position, therefore it behooves the pilgrims of the maximum opportunity as he enters the holy precincts and sanctuary of the Shrine of the Imam.
It is from here that the pilgrim should gain maximum benefit of the Grace of Allah (swt) and spirituality.
One should also not loose the opportunity to visit the graves of the ULAMA who are buried in the vicinity, like Allama Hilli, Muqaddas Ardabili, & recently the grand Ayatullah al-Khui (ra). A little away from the Shrine is the grave of Sayyed Muhsin al-Hakim.
Across the road from the Rauza is the Madressa of Shaykh Toosi (a.r), the founder of the Hawza of Najaf and the author of 2 of our 4 basic books of Ahadith (Al-istibsar and Tehdheebul Ehkam). Shaykh is buried in his Madressa.
According to a hadith, whoever comes to the Shrine of Imam Ali (a.s) and offers 2 or 4 raka’a salaat, and then prays to Allah (swt) to remove all the problems or worries, surely his prayers and supplication are answered.
According to Allama Majlisi (ra), the ziyarat which is famously known as ZIYARAT-E-AMINULLAH, is the most reliable, authentic ziyarat, which therefore is highly suitable to be recited in the shrine of Imam Ali(as) and of all other Imams.
According to a hadith of Imam Baqir a.s. whoever among our Shia recites this ziyarat and the dua at the Shrine of Amirul Mumineen a.s. and the Shrines of other Imams (as), then God would envelop this ziyarat and this dua in NUR and send it with the seal of the Holy Prophet (s) and elevate it to the spiritual realm, preserve it till the time of the 12th Imam a.s. to whom it will then be entrusted who would then receive that person with greetings, with glad tidings and with honor. Hence this ziyarat occupies a very high status.
One should take care that the ziarat should be recited sincerely i.e. from the core of one’s heart, one should beseech and implore, beg and ask, not just speak of words whose meanings one is not aware of.
WADIUS SALAAM - NAJAF
In Najaf city is located an extensive grave yard popularly known as Wadi us salaam in which are buried many virtuous believers including the Prophets Hud and Saleh (as).
(a) Rauza of Prophet Hood (a.s): The people of his time were very rich and due to their wealth they were very powerful, but worshipped idols. Prophet Hood (a.s.) repeatedly warned them to give up worshipping the idols and to turn towards one God but they did not listen. Allah (S.W.T.) punished them and they were all killed except Prophet Hood (a.s.) and a few believers.
(b) Rauza of Prophet Saleh (a.s): He was sent to the people of Thamood. As a miracle, a she camel was made to come out of a mountain. The people were warned against killing her, but they killed her. Thus they were destroyed by fire and earthquake.
(c) Maqam e Saheb ul Asr (a.f.t.s): It is said that he (a.f.t.s) visits this place.
(d) Makam e Imam Ja'far as Sadiq (a.s).
(e) The Grave of Shaheed Ayatullah Baqir as-Sadr (a.r).
(f) Musalla of Hazrat Imam Zainul Abedeen (a.s.)
It is recommended that the pilgrim visit the graveyard and offer prayers & salutations to the departed souls.
According to hadith of Imam Musa ibn Ja’far (as) says, whoever amongst our Shias cannot come to visit our grave and instead goes to visit of the virtuous people from our Shias then you will get the same sawab and reward as like visiting us, and the hadith continues to say: and whosoever cannot come and do good to us instead goes and does good to the virtuous people amongst our Shias will get the same sawab and reward of doing good towards us.
Near the grave it is recommended to put ones hand on the grave and recite surah Inna Anzalna 7 times.
At these places the pilgrim ought to remind themselves of what God says: “MINHA KHALAQNAQUM WA FIHAA NUEEDUQUM WA MINHA NUKHRIJUKUM TARATAL UKHRA“ - We have created you from dust will return back to dust and We will resurrect from dust.
Main sites to visit.
- Mehrabe Ebadat when Imam Ali (a.s.) was martyred.
- Court Room of Imam Ali (a.s.).
- Rauza of Hazrat Muslim ibn Aqil (a.s.) – cousin of Imam Hussein (a.s.).
- Rauza of Hazrat Mukhtar (a.r.)
- Rauza of Hani ibn Urwa (a.r.)
- Musallas of several Prophets.
- Tannoor from when Toofane Nuh (a.s.) started.
Masjid al-Kufa occupies very high position in the Islamic perspective. There is a hadith which says that it is one of those FOUR chosen Mosques. The Prophet (s) has said: That the surah of TEEN refers to the Mosque of Kufa.
- Wateeni Wazaituni wa Turi Seeneena, Wa Hadhal baladil Ameen, Teen refers to Madina.
- Zaitun refers to Baitul Muqaddas in Jerusalam
- Turi si neen – Refers to Kufa
- And Hadhal Baladil Ameen – Refers to Macca
- It is one of those mosques, where if a person prays a wajib namaz he gets the sawab of 1 accepted Hajj. And it is equivalent to a thousand rakah of salaah prayed elsewhere. If one prays one mustahab salaah, he gets the sawab of one accepted FULL UMRAH.
- It is the place where a person has a choice of praying either Qasr or Full Namaz.
- It is a place where according to riwayat most of the Prophets, more than a thousand and seventy Prophets and their successors have prayed.
- It is the place where 12th Imam after reappearance will come and pray.
- We are told that if people were to know all the excellences and the virtues of this mosque then they would come there even crawling.
- It is reported to be a portion from the garden of the Heaven.
Even to sit there without making any dhikr or reciting any Quran, one gets the sawab of Ibadah.
- It is the place where the Prophet Nuh constructed his boat.
Once arriving in the Masjid after entering there are several spots where it is recommended to go and pray salat and make dua for ones desires.
-The 1st place is Maqame Ibrahim (as) where one should pray salat & make tasbih & recite a ziyarat, praising the Prophets, greetings the Prophets and then declaring ones love and obedience for the Imams.
-Next is Dakkatul Qadha – The court room of Imam Ali (as) where there used to be the Ayah “Innallaha yamuru bil adli wal ehsaan”, here one is recommended to pray salah and make tasbih of Fatima Zahra (as) and make dua for ones hajah.
-Next is the maqam of Baitut Tasht – Where Imam Ali (as) is reported to have passed the famous historical judgement, It is related that while a girl was bathing, a leech entered her womb. It sucked her blood and became so fat that people suspected this unmarried girl to be pregnant. When the case was brought before Ameerul Mu’mineen (a.s.) he instructed her to sit in a large bowl (Tasht) of black mud. Smelling the mud, the leech came out of the girl's womb. We have to pray salah there and make tasbih, and make dua for hajah.
-Next one is to proceed towards the centre of the mosque, and this place is also known as Dakkatul Me’raj. Even the Holy Prophet during his ascension from Macca on his way to Jerusalem passed over here, Gabriel showed him this place, he requested for permission to stop over and he prayed salah here.
-Next is Maqame Adam (as) where it is reported that Hazrat Adam got the taufiq to make tauba, it is reported that every day 60,000 angels descend here and pray salah. Imam Ali(as) also used to pray at this mosque.
-Next is Maqame Jibraeel, here one is recommended to pray salah & make dua of ones hajah.
-Next is Maqame Imam Zainul Abideen (as), where one is recommended to pray Salah, make tasbih of Zahra, and to make dua for Hajat.
-Next is Babul Faraj which is known as Maqame Nuh, where one has to pray salah, tasbih Zahra & dua for the Hajat.
The historical significance for Masjid al-Kufa behooves all the pilgrims to remember that all the Prophets have come here and prayed salah and therefore when one offers salah at different spots one should try to gain the spirituality of those Prophets and therefore pray slowly with sincerity with concentration with feelings of humility, with feelings of lowliness in front of God in realization of HIS greatness.
Furthermore as one recites the dua and as is promised that these duas of hajat will be accepted one should try to fulfill the conditions of making Dua, which is to pray with concentration and sincerity to God alone and try to remove all kinds and source of distractions from one’s mind.
Finally as one recites the ziyarats at various spots, one sends greeting to the past Prophets, one also declares the WILAYA to the Imams and announces ones love & obedience to them.
-And finally is the Mihrab of Amirul Mumineen (a) – Where the final death blow was struck by the sword of Ibn Muljim (la) on the head of Imam Ali (as).
It is recommended to recite salah here, make dua, tasbih al-Zahra (as) and the munajaat.
-Adjacent to Masjid e Kufa the Za’er then proceeds to the ziyarat of Muslim Ibn Aqil (as) who was the ambassador of Imam Husain (as) at Kufa in order to assess
the situation of Kufa before Imam enters.
-Next the Zaeer should proceed to the Ziyarat of Mukhtar bin Ubaydullah ath-Thaqafi, who was a Shia of Imam Husain(as) but unfortunately during the period of the massacre at Karbala was imprisoned in the dungeons of Ibn-e-Ziyad in Kufa.
Later on when they were released and he realized of the heinous atrocities committed by Ibn Ziyad and his commanders, Mukhtar organises an army and chased and pursued as many perpetrators of the massacre of Karbala and brought them to justice.
Overall this movement did receive the approval of the Imam and therefore the Za’er should offer his greetings and salutations to this supporter and helper of the cause of the Ahlulbayt a.s.
-Next the Za’er then proceeds to the ziyarat of Hani Bin Urwah al-Muraadi, who was a Shia of Imam Husain (as) in Kufa.
Who supported the ambassador of Imam Husain (as) Hazrat Muslim Ibn Aqil (as).
And due to this support he was martyred by Ibn Ziyad
- Ziyarat of Hazrat Kumayl Bin Ziyad an-Nakhaee, who was one of the closest companion of Imam Ali (as).To whom Imam taught special secrets including the secrets of the nafs and its reality, and he also taught him the dua of Khidhr which is famously known as dua e Kumayl. Imam (a.s.) had also told him that in last era, his Rauza will be surrounded by houses bearing `Antenna', a sign of Shaitan. When Hajjaj bin Yusuf Thaqafi started hunting down the companions and shia of Ali (a.s), Hazrat Kumail went into hiding. In order to flush him out, Hajjaj started persecuting the family and tribe of Hazrat Kumail. When Hazrat Kumail surrendered himself, Hajjaj had him beheaded.
- Hazrat Rushayd Hajari (Maitham):
Hazrat Rushayd (a.r) was a companion of Imam Ali (a.s). Imam Ali (a.s) had pointed out to him the palm tree on which he would be crucified. When Maytham was arrested, he told Ubaidullah bin Ziyad that Imam (a.s.) had foretold that his (Maytham's) hands, feet & tongue would be cut. In order to prove Imam wrong, Ubaidullah ordered his hands and feet cut, while sparing his tongue. Thus when his hands and feet were cut and he was taken out of the palace, he started relating to the people the events which were to happen till Qayamat and praised Imam Ali (as). Thus Ubaidullah was forced to have his tongue cut off. He died that same night.
Behind Masjid-e-Kufa is Bayt Ali (a.s). Inside the house there is a place where Imam Ali (a.s.) lay on his deathbed in the presence of his family members. There is also a room where it is said that Imam Ali (a.s.) was given Ghusl, and a well from which water for his Ghusl is supposed to have come.
- Rauza of Janabe Khadijatul Sughra binti Imam Ali (a.s.) – outside Masjide Kufa - the sister of Hazrat Abbas (a.s). It is just across the road from Bab e Feel.
- Rauza of Prophet Yunus (a.s.) – near the river.
- On the way to Imam's house from Masjide Kufa are the foundations of Darul Amara (the Palace of the Governors of kufa). It was demolished on the orders of Abdul Malik bin Marwan. When Abdul Malik was seated on the throne, the head of Mo'sab bin Zubair(s/o Zubair of the Zubair-Talha pair) was brought before him, in a plate. Seeing this, a man in the Court said: I saw that Ubaidullah bin Ziyad was seated here and the head of Imam Husein (a.s) was brought before him, then Mukhtar was seated here and the head of Ubaidullah was brought before him, then Mo'sab bin Zubair was seated here and the head of Mukhtar was brought before him, Now you are seated here and Mo'sab's head is before you. Hearing this Abdulmalik got so scared that he ordered the Darul Amara to be demolished.
- Rauza of Janabe Maitham e Tammar: He was a Persian and a close companion & business partner( running a date shop) of Imam Ali (a.s.). Imam showed him the palm tree on which he would be hanged, thus he took special care of the tree. He and Mukhtar Thaqafi were imprisoned together. He told Mukhtar: You will be set free and will avenge the blood of Imam Hussain (a.s) and kill those who will kill us.
It is said that a wealthy businessman came to Najaf with his son who had blood cancer. He visited Imam Ali's (a.s) Rauza in Najaf and pledged that if his son is cured then he will get any kind of work to be done at the Imam's Rauza. With the blessings of Allah (S.W.T) and the Dua of Imam Ali (a.s), his son recovered completely. So he asked the Mutawallis if there is any work that has to be done or completed at the Imam’s Rauza. At night the Mutawalli dreamt that Imam Ali (a.s.) told him that do not do any work in my Rauza, but instead, build the Rauza of Maytham's properly because it is in very bad shape. So the work was done on Maytham's Rauza.
SKETCH OF MASJID-E-KUFA
1. Main Entrance 10. Maqam-e-Jibraeel
2. Maqam-e-Hazrat Ibrahim (as) 11. Maqam-e-Imam Jafer Sadiq (as)
3. Maqam-e-Hazrat Khizer (as) 12. Maqam-e-Hazrat Zainul Abideen (as)
4. Place of Miracle 13. Maqam-e-Hazrat Nuh (as)
5. Court of Hazrat Ali (as) 14. Shahadat Place of Imam Ali (as)
6. Well of Hazrat Nuh (as) 15. Night Prayers place of Imam Ali (as)
7. Entrance to the well 16. Rauza of Hazrat Muslim bin Aqeel (as)
8. Maqam-e-Hazrat Muhammad (s) 17. Mazaar of Hazrat Mukhtar (ar)
9. Maqam-e-Hazrat Adam (as) 18.Mazaar of Hazrat Hani ibne Urwa (ar)
This Masjid is between Kufa and Najaf. The fazilat of this Masjid is that when Imam Hasan (a.s.) and Imam Hussein (a.s.) together with other Mu’mineen carrying the `Janaza' of Hazrat Imam Ali (a.s) from Kufa to Najaf, they passed near this Masjid. At that time, the pillars of this Masjid inclined for ‘Ta’azim’.
This is not surprising according to the Qur’anic teachings because we are taught the elements and the particles of the universe have a life of their own whereby they are aware of the events happening and also they have the capacity to respond to these events as has reported that the pebbles in the hands of the Prophet (s) had recited the Tasbih.
It is narrated that Hannan used to be a Church. After Imam Hussain (a.s) was martyred, and the caravan of prisoners of Ahlul Bayt (a.s.) and the holy heads of the Shuhada passed by this church, the priest noticed that the face of Imam Hussein (a.s) was radiating Noor. He requested to be allowed to keep the head for one night. He addressed the head "who are you?" and the head replied I am Hussein Bin Ali (a.s.) and my grandfather is Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w.). Banu Umayya killed me in Kerbala. The priest was moved with the reply and he immediately accepted Islam.
- According to riwayat: historically it has been the house of various Prophets.
Including the Prophet Idrees (as), Prophet Ibrahim (as), Prophet Khidhr (as).
Its the place from which the place Dawud (as) preceded fight against Jalut.
Imam Sadiq (as) has reported to have said that: “The 12th Imam when he makes the appearance will come to this mosque with his family and make it as his residence.”
In the past all the Prophets have prayed here. It is reported that whoever stays in this mosque will get the sawab of staying in the tent of Holy Prophet (s). It is a mosque according to riwaya, towards which every momin’s heart is naturally attracted to. It contains a stone which stores the images of all the Prophets.
-Whoever prays here, with a sincere heart surely Allah will accept his / her prayer.
-Whoever comes here to seek security, whatever fear he / she has, will be granted that security.
-In this mosque it is reported that angels descend and ascend in their thousands.
-Especially if a person is grief stricken and comes on Tuesday night and makes dua between Maghrib and Isha, his / her grief will be removed.
-Whoever has any sort of hajat, if he comes to this mosque and prays that hajat will be fulfilled.
-It is recommended to recite dua e tawassul on Tuesday night at Masjid e Sahla
SKETCH OF MASJID-E-SAHLA
1. General entrance 6. Maqam-e-Hazrat Idrees (as)
2. Place for Wuzu 7. Maqam-e-Hazrat Khizer (as)
3. Main Entrance 8. Maqam-e-Imam Zainul Abideen (as)
4. Maqam-e-Saleheen 9. Maqam-e-Imam Jafer Sadiq (as)
5. Maqam-e-Hazrat Ibraheem (as) 10. Maqam-e-Imam Hujjat (atfs)
- Masjid e Sa'sa bin Sauhan (a.r):
It is located at the southwest part of Masjide Sahla. A special companion of Ameerul Mo'mineen (a.s.). Imam had praised his oratory, calling him Khatib e Shahshah. Imam also praised him for simple living, still giving great assistance. Was present at the burial of Imam, and recited a Majlis for Imam after the burial. Thus he was the first Majlis reciter for Ameerul momineen (a.s.), with an esteemed audience of Hasnayn (a.s). It is reported that Imam e Zamana (a.t.f.s.) has been seen at this Mosque. It is believed that the head of Imam Hussein (a.s.) was kept here when the heads of the Shohada and the prisoners were going from Kerbala to Damascus via Kufa.
- Masjide Zaid bin Sauhan(a.r): A special companion of Ameerul Mo'mineen, martyred in the battle of Jamal.
- Karbala is the place where the CHIEF MARTYR SAYYIDUSH SHUHADAA ABA ABDILLAHIL HUSAIN (‘a) is buried.
(01) Kerbala-e-Moa'lla, is situated six miles from Baghdad.
In the center of the city is the sacred Rauza of Imam Hussein (a.s). Within the blessed Zarih are the graves of:
- Imam Hussein (a.s)
- His son Ali Akbar (a.s)
- His son Ali Asgar (a.s).
Under the Dome and just touching the Zarih of Imam Hussein (a.s.) is a piece of red colored stone where we are told that we should recite two Rak’at Salaat and ask for our Haajat which Inshallah will be fulfilled.
- Ganje Shuhada – Graves of the rest of the martyrs of Kerbala.
- Grave of Habib ibne Mazahir (a.r.)
- Grave of Ibrahim bin Musa Kadhim (a.s.). (At one time he was the Governor of Yemen. He was the grandfather of Sayed Murtaza (a.r.) and he too was martyred by an Abbaside Caliph).
- Qatlagah: is the exact spot in the Haram premises, where the Imam was beheaded.
(02) Rauza of Hazrat Abbas (a.s).
According to the Islamic perspective of all the people serving a society highest position is occupied by the Shuhadaa, and amongst the Shuhadaa, highest position is occupied by the Shuhadaa of Karbala, and amongst the Shuhadaa of Karbala, the afdhalul Shuhadaa, the most excellent one is that of Hazrat Abbas a.s.
It is reported by Imam Sajjad a.s, that Hazrat Abbas a.s. had sacrificed everything he had to help his brother to the extent that both his hands were cut off and in reward Allah will grant him wings in Jannah with which he will be flying along with the angels in Jannah just like Ja’far at-Tayyar.
On the day of judgment the position occupied by Hazrat Abbas (as) will be so high that all the other shuhadaa and martyrs will desire the high status. Indeed even in the world the position of Hazrat Abbas is so high that if any sincere and true follower have any HAJAH and if he supplicates with the intercession of Hazrat Abbas, surely the dua will be granted.
Under the Rauza of Hazrat Abbas (a.s.) there is a river running and is called Al-Qama. It is said that a King by the name of Al-Qama made a stop at Kerbala and became very sad. On enquiry, he learnt that this place is called Kerbala and one of the son's of Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w.) and his family would be martyred here on the day of Ashura and they will be denied water of the river Euphrates or Furaat. The king felt sorry and ordered that a canal be dug from the river Euphrates to the place where now stands the Rauza of Hazrat Abbas (a.s.).
(03) Tillae-Zainabiya: This is a small hill facing the Rauza of Imam Hussein (a.s.) and it is from this hill that she witnessed the martyrdom of her beloved brother Imam Hussein (a.s.)
(04) Khaimagah; This is just behind Tillae-Zainabia. Here all the tents of Imam Hussein (a.s.), his family and companions were pitched.
(05) Kafl Abbas: Kafl Abbas means the arm of Hazrat Abbas (a.s.). There were two spots near by outside the Haram of Hazrat Abbas (a.s.). One was destroyed during the Persian Gulf war and the second one is still there.
(06) Makame Fizza: where Bibi fizza had summoned a lion.
(07) Makame Jinn: where Ja'far, the head Jinn was waiting with an army to help Imam Hussein (a.s.).
(08) The place where Imam Hussain (a.s) held a meeting with Umar bin Saad.
(09) Makame Ali akber: The place where Ali akber (a.s) was martyred
(10) Makame Ali Asghar: The place where Ali Asgher was martyred while in the arms of Imam Hussain (a.s)
(11) Makame Ameerul Mo'mineen: A place where Ameerul Mu'mineen (a.s.) had come.
(12) Makame Sahibuzzaman (a.t.f.) & place where Imam Hussain (a.s.) had stopped prior to entering Karbala.
(13) Garden of 6th Imam: the place where 6th Imam Ja’far Sadiq (a.s.) used to reside when he visited Karbala.
(1) Rauza of Hazrat Hurr ibne Yazid Riyahi (a.s): His grave is 3 miles away from the city of Kerbala. He was the commander of the contingent that came and intercepted the progress of the caravan of Imam Hussain(as) as it was moving around Kufa, it was diverted then to Karbala, however on the day of Ashura, Hur (as) realized the error that he has made and he made the bold decision of moving away from the army of Umar as-Saad(la) and crossing over to the army of Imam Hussain(as).
He presented his case, he apologized for his mistakes and Imam Husain graciously accepted him. Hur then immediately fought in defense of Imam Hussain(as) and was martyred.
The biggest lesson we can learn from this episode is the fact that however large a sin a person may have committed, so long as he realizes the seriousness of the mistake, really feels penitent and sorry in his heart and is determined to change and compensate for the mistake then truly Gods grace is abundant enough to accept him.
(2) Rauza of Aun (a.s.): A few kilometers outside the Haram of Aba Abdillahil Hussain a.s. is located the Zareeh of Hazrat Aun a.s. who was the son of Abdallah, the son of Ja’far at-Tayyar who is the brother of Imam Ali a.s.
The Za’er should offer his salutations to Hazrat Aun a.s. and should remember that Aun was firm in his Iman, that he fought his enemies bravely, that he did this out of love for Allah, that he was fully practicing the teachings of the Quran.
Finally the Za’er should send LA’ANA on the killer of Hazrat Aun (as) whose reported to be Abd’Allah Bin Qataba an-Nabahani.
(3) Rauza of Mohammad and Ibraheem: The two sons of Hazrat Muslim Bin Aqeel (a.s). They are buried in the Musayyab area.
(4) Sons of Muslim Bin Aqeel at Musayyab
Hazrat Muslim bin Aqil (as) had two young sons by the name of Muhammad & Ibrahim whose Zareehs are located at a place known as Musayyab between Karbala & Kadhmain. These two children grew up to love Islam, to love Allah, to love the teachings of Quran and realizing the importance of these values, these children were ready to sacrifice their lives for the cause of truth.
It was precisely for these reasons that the enemies of Islam targeted them and history records that even at the last moments of their lives just before being martyred both these sons requested for a short respite to offer their salat and their expression of obedience to Allah.
Hence the Za’er should learn from the examples of such young ones that one should always keep the teachings of Quran & Islam ahead of one’s life.
Merits of Ziarat-e-Imam Hussain (as)
Imam Baqir (as) is reported to have said: ‘If people knew the reward for the ziyarat of Husain(as) surely they would have died out of love for it and when inquired as to what exactly the sawab is, Imam explained that whoever goes for the ziyarat has been given the sawab of:
- 1000 Haj, 1000 Umrah, 1000 martyrs of Badr,
- 1000 reward for fasting, 1000 reward of sadaqa,
- Reward of freeing 1000 slaves,
- He/She is protected for the whole year,
- An angel will be appointed to protect him from all sides, behind, front, left, right, above & below and when he dies angels will attend his burial ceremony,
- They will pray for his forgiveness,
- He/She will be protected from the squeeze of the grave,
- Question of the grave of munkar / nakir will be facilitated for him,
- And the gates of heaven will be opened up for him,
- And the book of deeds will be presented to him in his right hand
- And he will come on the day of judgment full of light and this light will stretch from the East to the West and an announcer would call out this is a Za’er of the grave of Imam Husain(as).
- And at that time there will be no one in the field of Qiyama but he would wish that he was a Za’er of Imam Husain (as).
- It should be noted that in the ahadith we have been told that to pray salah WAJIB one in the HARAM has the sawab of ONE HAJ & ONE UMRAH.
- In the ahadith we have been told that to pray salah WAJIB one in the HARAM has the sawab of ONE HAJ & ONE UMRAH.
On the other hand we have also been warned that whoever fails to visit the grave of Imam Husain(as) without any genuine excuse then indeed he has failed in his obligation to pay the respects to the Holy Prophet (s) and to Islam. Indeed he is announced to be weak in his faith.
However it should be noted, that all this tremendous sawab that is promised for the ziyarat, can only benefit that individual who performs it with the proper physical and spiritual etiquette.
Some Etiquettes to Remember
One should realize that he is in the Holy presence of the Imam, a place which is constantly visited by angels day in & day out. A place which is the centre of attraction for all the Prophets and therefore the Za’er should try to maintain pure thoughts and pure feelings and respectful behavior in this Holy sanctuary.
One should also note that under the DOME the Qubbah is located a pinkish marble stone which is reported to be a place where whoever asks for his Hajat and his need will surely be granted.
Kaazmain - Imam al-Kazim (as)
The Shrine of Imam Musa Ibn Ja’far al-Kazim a.s. and Imam Muhammad Taqi al-Jawad a.s. is in Kazmain, which is near Baghdad.
The shrine includes:
- Rauza of Imam Musa bin Kadhim (a.s.)
- Rauza of Imam Muhammd Taqi (a.s)
- Grave of Shaykh Mufeed (a.r.): His real name was Muhammad bin Numaan. Even our 12th Imam (a.t.f.s.) addressed him in the name of ‘Mufeed'. The Marsia written on his grave is the one recited by the 12th Imam (a.s.) when Shaykh Mufeed died.
- Grave of Shaykh Kulaini (a.r.)
- Grave of Khwaja Nasiruddin Toosi (a.r): It is narrated that our 12th Imam (a.s.) taught him Dua-e-Tawassul in a dream.
- Grave of Sayyed Murtadha: He was a student of Sheikh Mufeed (a.r). He was given the title of Alam-ul-Huda (the flag of guidance) by Imam Ali (a.s).
- Grave of Sayyed Razi (a.r): He is the compiler of Nahj ul Balagha. He too was the student of Sheikh Mufeed (a.r.).
- Grave of Sayyed Ismail Safruddin (a.r): He too was a great scholar and wrote many books.
Harun(la) imprisoned Imam for long periods up to 20 years and finally poisoned the Holy Imam(as).
Imam al-Jawad (as)
Next the Za’er turns his attention to Imam Muhammad al-Jawad at-Taqi (as).
During his Ziyarat, he should recall the highlights of the Imam as follows:
Imam’s period of Imamat extends from the year 203AH up till the year 220AH.
Though the Imam assumed the responsibility of the leadership at a very young age, and the Shias were skeptical about this, however on direct questioning and one gathering, several thousand questions were paused and when the Shias received convincing replies they were satisfied.
The reason it is called Kadhmain is because the two Kazims the 7th Imam and the 9th Imam are buried here.
Samarrah used to be the capital of Iraq and is situated on the banks of river Tigris. The old city has, however, turned into ruins. The new city is located around the Rauza that contains four graves.
(a) Grave of Imam Ali Naqi (as) – the 10th Imam
(b) Grave of Imam Hassan Askari (as)- the 11th Imam.
(c) Bibi Halima Khatoon binti Hadhrat Imam Ali Naqi (a.s.) – sister of the 10th Imam.
(d) Bibi Nargis Khatoon - mother of our 12th Imam Mahdi (a.s.)
(e) Makame Ghaibat of 12th Imam( sirdab)
This is in the basement of the house of the 11th Imam (a.s.) where the shrine now stands. The entrance has been opened from the courtyard. It is said that this was the house of Bibi Nargis and our 12th Imam (a.s.) was last seen here.
Balad is a small town near Sakmarrah
Rauza of Syed Muhammed Ibne Imam Ali Naqi (as)
He was the son of Imam Ali Naqi (a.s.). The place where his Rauza is used to be the cemetery of Shias. During the time of Hujjaj bin Yusuf thousands of Shias were imprisoned here and when they died were buried there. No Shia was allowed to leave the area and because of the torment thousands of them died.
This Rauza is very famous for couples who come to make a Nadr (wish) that they be blessed with a child. It is in Balad a small village near samarrah
MASJID-E-BARATHA This Masjid is between Khademain and Baghdad and it is a very famous Masjid.
It is narrated that this was a church before at the time of Imam Ali (a.s.) and when the Imam (a.s.) returned from the battle of Naherawan, the Christian priest invited our Imam to rest here, which he did for three days.
During his stay he saw the people of the church go out very far to fetch water and Imam Ali (a.s.) asked the priest why he does not dig a well in the church compound? The priest replied, that they tried but got salt water. Imam Ali (a.s.) just hit the ground with his heel and water gushed out which was cold and sweet. There is a black stone at this miracle place. Also there is a white stone with Ayat-tul-Kursi written on it.
Ziyaraat in Baghdad
4 Naib of Imam Sahebul Asr (a.s.) during the Ghaibate Sughra.
(a) Mazaar of Uthman Bin Saeed (a.r.). He was the first Chief Deputy of our 12th Imam (a.s.) who used to be in contact with him. He was also a close companion of our 10th and 11th Imam (a.s.).
(b) Mazaar of Mohammed Bin Uthman (a.r.).He was the son of Hazrat Uthman Bin Saeed
(c) Mazaar of Husayn Bin Rooh (a.r.). He was the third deputy of our 12th Imam A.S.
(d) Mazaar of Ali Bin Mohammed (a.r.). He was the fourth and the last of the deputies of our 12th Imam A.S. He received a letter (Tauqih) from our Imam telling him that there would be no more deputies after his death. & Ulema were to be consulted.
Note: (a) and (d) are easy to find whereas (b) and (c) are inside a Bazaar. One will need some guidance from the local people to locate this place if one is going by bus.
(e) Mazaar of Janaab Qamber (a.r.). During the time of Imam Ali A.S. he was a slave and the Imam bought him and freed him.
(f) Mazaar of Janaab Hafiz Muhammad Yakqoob Al Kulayni : He was a famous narrator of Ahadiths of the Prophet of Allah (s.a.w.w.) and the Imams of Ahlul-Bayt (a.s.)
MADAYN (SALMAN PARK)
“Taak-e-Kisra”: The place of Babylon, situated near Salman Park, Baghdad. According to legend, when Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.w.) was born in Makkah, this huge edifice of an ancient civilization developed cracks in its walls.
Rauza of Salman Farsi (a.r.)
Rauza of Huzaife Yamani (a.r.)
Rauza of Jabir bin Abdullah Ansari (a.r.)
Masjide Jumu’ah – near Rauza of Salman Farsi (a.r.)
Taak-e- Kisra – Palace of Nausherwan Aadil.
Rauza of Janab Hamza (a.r.)
Rauza of Janab Qassim bin Imam Moosa Kazim (a.s.)
Rauza of Prophet Hadhrat Ayyub (a.s.)
Rauza of Prophet Danyal (a.s.)
Rauza of Prophet Dhukifl (a.s.) known as ‘Chifl’.
Maqame Sahibuzzaman (a.s.)
Masjide Ali (a.s.)
References: Mafatih al Jinan, Nafasul Mahmoom (Shaykh Abbas Qummi), Hadiyatuz Zaereen, hajj.org
For More Details & Ziaraat: www.ziaraat.org | www.duas.org